Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Reply

Up till now, my story has been mostly introduction. It was about a week after I sent the email that things really started happening.
I had almost forgotten about the memory chip, or at least I wasn't thinking about it every hour of the day. I had started making a movie. For some reason or another, I had to get some footage outside. I was walking around the block with my video camera when I saw a vaguely familiar face out of the corner of my eye. Turning, I saw a man standing across the street, watching me. I couldn't remember how I knew him, but I had definitely seen him before.
Feeling a little nervous, I continued walking at a slightly faster pace. I turned a corner, walked for a few more yards, then looked back. The man was following just a few feet behind me. He was short, muscular and bald. I was just about to start walking again when the man spoke.
"Excuse me," He said in a thick Russian accent. "I'm looking for a friend of mine." Just when I was thinking that I had been in this situation before, I recognised who the guy was. It was the man in the picture that the guy called Carl had shown me. The man held up a picture. "Have you seen this man?"
The picture was a little blurry, but I could see that it was a picture of the guy called Carl. I wasn't sure exactly what to say.
"Um...He looks sort of familiar-"
The moment the words left my mouth, something big and heavy landed on my head. The world spun around for a couple seconds, then everything went black.

No comments: