Saturday, September 1, 2007

A Voice

After a shower and a lunch consisting of a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich and crackers, the guy called Bert finally spoke. Up to this point, all I had heard out of him were a few grunts.
"Go in there," he said in a gruff voice.
I cautiously made my way toward the door he was pointing to. After what had been happening to me lately, I had no idea what to expect. I slowly turned the doorknob and pushed open the door.
It was pitch black inside.
"Come on in," said a voice from inside the blackness.
I slowly walked into the room, staying as close to the door as possible.
"Close the door," said the voice.
Deciding that I was tired of being ordered around, I summoned up my courage and asked, in a rather timid voice, "Who are you?"
After a moment of silence, the voice, again, said, "Close the door," this time in a more commanding tone.
I decided I didn't have much choice and, after drawing a heavy breath, I slowly closed the door behind me, shutting out the last bit of light in the room.

No comments: