Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Change Of Scene

The doors were slammed open and several large guys appeared. There was a quick little martial arts fight between the guys in the limo and the guys that just showed up. Guns were knocked to the ground as soon as they were pulled out. People were flying everywhere. The new guys outnumbered the limo guys, and I was soon forcibly transferred from the limo the back of a truck just in front of us. The car raced off and, as I looked back, I could see that the limo had four flat tires (something that must have been accomplished while the fight was going on). I turned back around, catching my breath, and then instantly lost it again. Staring down at me were five of the biggest guys I think I've ever seen, all wearing ski masks. The largest one moved forward some.
"Are you alright, kid? You're not hurt, are you?"
That wasn't exactly the question I was expecting to hear.
"Umm..I'm fine, I guess. Who are you?" I asked.
"We're not going to hurt you. We just need some information."
That was all he said.
"And you want me to give it to you?" I asked.
"No. We want you as a hostage. You must be worth something to those guys. We left them a note. They tell us what we need to know, and you'll go free."
"Would this information," I asked, "have anything to do with a memory chip?"
The man jerked up. "You know what was on it?"
"Umm...no. I just heard it mentioned," I replied. Obviously, these guys didn't know that I knew anything, and I decided to keep it that way for a while.
It seemed I knew more than most anyone else about what was on the memory chip. I was valuable property.

No comments: