Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Out of the Darkness...

As soon as the door closed behind me, someone switched on a light, blinding me for a second. As I regained my sight, I found myself in a huge office. In front of me, sitting behind a huge wooden desk, was a man. His looked very much like someone you would expext to be the world's most succesful businessman. He smiled, showing his shiny white teeth.
"Sit down," he said, nodding towards a chair in front of me.
I sat down.
The man pulled a huge file out of a drawer. He looked through it, glancing at me every now and then.
"I see," he said after a couple minutes. "You are Samuel S____, born 1991. You went to school..." he went on for a while. Somewhere between my broken arms and my braces, I interrupted him.
"Um, excuse me sir, but what exactly am I doing here?"
He sort of squinted at me, as if he were deciding wether or not to tell me something.
"Sam," he said, "it has come to my attention that you recently intercepted a memory chip. I assume you saw what was on it, and I also assume that you don't know what it is you were looking at."
I didn't like the way he was assuming all the correct assumptions, and I didn't like the way he had called me 'Sam.' But, eager to know more, I simply nodded and waited.
He held out two pictures.
"Have you seen either of these two men?"
I had, but I was tired of the whole photograph thing.
"And what if I have?" I asked.
"If you have, then I have good reason to believe that you're in danger. Because of what you've seen, the best agents from over twenty countries in the world are after you. You may not want to be involved, but you're in this whether you like it or not."

No comments: