Friday, February 29, 2008

Jade Nikia

We drove for a few minutes before arriving at what I assumed was the resort that Chris had mentioned. We drove into the gate and stopped in a parking lot in front of the main building.
"Stay here," said Chris. He got out of the car and walked into the building followed by the old man from the other car.
Jade Nikia stayed behind. She walked around the parking lot some, and then started walking towards where I was. Once she reached the car she opened the door and sat down in the driver's seat next to me.
"Hi," she said.
"Hi, uh, Miss Nikia," I said, more than a little uncomfortable.
"Call me Jade," she said, smiling. "So you're the kid everyone's talking about. It's great to finally meet you."
I wasn't sure what to say. After an awkward silence, she spoke to me in a lower voice.
"Look," she said. "I know you probably don't have a clue about what's going on. I'm sorry you have to go through all this trauma. But there's more on the line here than you can imagine." She turned, as if to make sure no one was around. "Also, you need to be careful around Chris. He's a good guy, but he's a control freak. He's only supposed to play a small part in this, but he isn't content unless he knows everything."
I cut her off. "What part is he supposed to play?"
"Well," she said, "he's supposed to gather information and pass it on to his superiors. Unfortunately, he sometimes tries to decide what action to take without consulting others."
"And what part do you play?" I asked.
"I play sort of the same part," she said, "only it's a little more," she paused searching for the right word. "Interactive."
"You mean you're a double agent?"
She laughed. "And remember one other thing. Try not to be too smart. Anything else you need to know?"
I thought for a moment. "What part do I play, Jade?"
She looked at me for a while. "I don't know yet," she said. "I don't know what you're doing here. Chris is probably the only guy who knows why you're so valuable. And you'll have a hard time learning anything from him."
Just then, Chris walked out of the building.
"Well," Jade said, "I guess I'd better go. It was nice talking to you."
"Yeah, you too," I said as she got out of the car. After a moment Chris opened my door.
"Alright," he said, "you can get on out now. What were you and Jade talking about?"
"Not much. When do we eat?" I asked, trying to change the subject.
Chris laughed. "Soon enough," he said. "Help me unload the luggage."

No comments: