Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Maybe it's all a misunderstanding." I could hear Jade talking in the room. I held my breath and tried to stay as quiet as possible.
"Maybe so," said an unfamiliar voice, "but we can't afford to take that chance. We can't let him go anywhere until we're sure. Do you have the paper?"
"It's around here somewhere," said Jade. I could hear her walking towards the closet. I scooted as far back as I could, pressing my back into the wall. I could see a shadow just outside the door.
"Oh, wait!" she said. "There it is on the table." She walked away from the closet. "Yeah, that's it. It's a map of some place. We're not sure where. Chris said he knew someone who could help us with it. I just hope we have time to get in touch him. This incident has really slowed things down."
"So once Chris gets back what are you going to do about the kid?" asked the other voice.
"We'll have to take him with us. Like you said, we can't afford to take chances."
I heard some other sounds. Someone typing on a computer, curtains being closed and, after a few minutes, two sets of footsteps leaving the room. After the door shut, I waited a few seconds. Satisfied that I was once again alone, I slowly opened the closet door. Just before leaving the room I took one last look around. Everything was just like it was before, except for one something sitting on a table near the closet. At first I thought I was imagining things. I examined it closer and almost yelled with surprise.
It was my old digital camcorder!

No comments: