Saturday, January 12, 2008

It was Chris!
He was about as startled to see me as I was to see him.
"Sam! What are you doing in there?!"
I explained to him what happened to me after the explosion at the warehouse and asked what had happened to him. He wouldn't tell me.
"Let's just say that I don't want anybody to know I'm still around. And since you've seen me, you're gonna have to stick with me for a while. Now help me look."
I watched him rummage through some of the junk in the back of the truck. I thought about running, but I realized that I had nowhere to run to.
"What are you looking for?" I asked
"Oh, anything," he said, without looking up. "I don't really know. Anything that might give me some idea of what this guy is up to. Check the front, will you?"
I slowly walked to the front of the truck. I pulled the door handle, but the door didn't open.
"It's locked," I called out. Chris tossed me an odd looking key. I unlocked the door and started looking around. I couldn't find much. No identification, no briefcase, nothing. Obviously, whoever this truck belonged to was careful not to leave anything behind that could identify him.
"Alright, kid,"Chris called. "We gotta go. Leave everything like you found it."
I locked the door and followed Chris to a car that was parked a few yards away.
"Get in,' he said. "We've got a plane to catch."

No comments: